Infant photography has been around for many years now. It is quite popular in many parts of UK and Europe today but in the US infant photography has been around for more than 15 years. This genre of photography continues to prosper and so a lot of photographers now focus in offering infant or newborn photography services to clients particularly first-time parents.
What Makes Infant Photography Different?
Infant photography is different from other types of photography when it comes to time and focus. An individual goes through being an infant for only a certain period and so this fleeting moment is what the professional infant photographer needs to capture. With other types, it can be taken at any desired time. Additionally, with newborn photography you need to double up in terms of applying safety measures. We need to make the safety and welfare of the subject our utmost priority.
When parents hire you to photograph their newborn or months old baby, they expect you to not only deliver cute images of their baby but also to take care of their child during the shoot. Of course, only a photographer who really studied and practiced infant photography can do this shoot perfectly. You must not offer this form of photography service if you are not yet skilled and knowledgeable.
How to Get Started
If you are planning to start your own infant photography business, then here are some things you need to know to get started.
- Taking a course in photography is important. There are many schools that offer bachelor’s degree courses and even vocational in photography. Look for a credible school where you can learn the knowledge required for this business. If they specifically offer a course in infant photography, then that would be better. You can also get ideas and tips from professional photographers’ website like http://www.aliciadunlop.com/.
- Choose the right camera and set of lenses suitable for infant photography. Check carefully the models being offered in the market before deciding on what brand to buy. Don’t go for cheap yet low quality products. Consider buying great quality equipment that will last long so you don’t have to replace every now and then.
- Study the poses and start with the easy ones. The cute poses by infants make an image look awesome. If you are just starting, you need to listen to advice from experienced photographers in order to know how to safely do the pose. You can also watch online videos to learn how these poses are carried out.
- Becoming a second shooter or assistant to a professional infant photography can help you gain the skills you need. You can observe how they do their job and can use later what you have learned. You can even add this experience to your work portfolio to add more credibility.
- Once you have the skills and knowledge necessary to become an efficient infant photographer, it is now time for you to promote your business. You can market your services offline and online. By online, set up social media accounts to reach to your audience. You can also build your own website so potential customers can easily find and reach you. It is also wise to connect with wedding professionals like wedding video leeds to get more exposure in the wedding industry.
Patience and determination will play a big part for your success or failure as infant photographer. If your patience and determination are high, then you will have a bigger chance of becoming successful. If low, then you will surely go nowhere.